Design and Manufacturing
Identify and define scientific and technological challenges in manufacturing and processing of composite materials, develop strategies to overcome these challenges, and provide a forum for interaction between researchers and practitioners.
There are five main functions of the Division:
- Identify contemporary challenges in the manufacturing and processing of composites,
- Design strategies with industry and academia to answer these challenges,
- Network various manufacturing and processing areas with/into the ASC,
- Solicit papers/participation in the Annual Conference, to include the sponsoring and staffing of manufacturing and processing-related sessions, and
- Search for/create/offer educational opportunity.
a. Division Chairperson
b. Standing Committees, including Committee Chairpersons
1. Manufacturing techniques for continuous and discontinuous fiber reinforced composites
2. Manufacturing techniques for particulate composites
3. Processing methods for smart composites containing self-healing or health monitoring capabilities
4. Processing methods for composites containing special properties
5. Green and environmentally friendly manufacturing techniques
The five applications committees have responsibility to solicit high quality papers for submission as candidates for the yearly conference and to encourage participation by applications-oriented individuals and organizations in the yearly conference. These committees should also provide recommendations regarding particular research needs of the different applications areas.
No fiscal resources exist within the Division, nor is any member of the Division empowered to obligate the Division, its officers or the ASC to a fiscal liability.
5. Election of Officers
The chairperson shall be elected by the Division of the ASC annual conference every two years.
6. Special Opportunities and Awards
The Division may see fit to recommend the development of short courses, awards, or publications, in addition to other special activities. Such opportunities will form the basis for a formal action on the part of the Executive Body of the ASC for resolution at the annual meeting of the ASC.
These terms of reference may be altered by majority vote of the Division membership present at the annual meeting, subject to approval by the Executive Board.